Bracketology 2/27

Cats moved back up to a 9 seed in Lunardi’s brackets.

It is amazing to me, that we can keep winning, and still move down in the rankings.

It must be some giant data table that ranks everyone based on who they’ve played and who the opponents played? Is that how it works?

sounds like the old back of the locker room, “we beat them, and they beat the team that just beat us” how do you figure that tie-breaker out?

Go B1GCats
rsl

CoachRoySig.jpg

Cats moved from 53 to 52 today, but the inner working of the NET rankings are still (too) secret.

Factors that might be taken into account:

Home/Away/Neutral
Final Margin
Largest Lead/Largest Deficit
OT
First half score
Weather
Phase of the moon
Dow Jones Industrial Average
Theresa Caputo’s rankings (The Long Island Medium)

It primarily takes the opponent’s rating combined with margin of victory into account. Margin of victory drives me nuts. Our Chicago State loss is an anchor.

In the end, the selection committee takes more than NET into consideration.

Shawn

Margin of victory bugs me, too. A team can be leading by 20, put in reserves and the margin drops to 10 because the other team still has their first string players in. So is that a blowout or not?

Conversely, two teams can play a tight game but fouls for one team leave them without their best players at the end and the other team takes advantage. So what kind of game is that?

I wonder if you could calculate an ‘average margin’ number by looking at the score on a basket-by-basket or minute-by-minute basis? Is a 10-0 run late in the game more important than a 10-0 start?

If you really want to dive into these questions, I’d recommend getting a subscription to Ken Pomeroy. It’s like $25 a year. You want a ranking system, he’s got a detailed one and is pretty transparent about his methods. His blog has a lot of interesting takes. Plus, his site is a lot of fun to navigate…you can slice & dice stats to your heart’s content, he’s got 20+ years of historical data, etc.

Not a huge hoops fan, but I love noodling around on his site.

I’ve been thinking that if margin of victory (or loss) is a factor, the game in Champana is our other albatross.

-Michael